Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Cheap fashion vs Expensive fashion

While I was walking around westfield and I was surprised how many shops were on seasonal sale. Some stores were up to 70% of RRP which comes down to approximately $20 per garment (simple jersey top). There was even a shop that only sell garments that are $10. I had a quick look inside the store and their product did not seem too bad. Then I thought maybe I can analyze the experiences from two stores (one low and one mid market) and compare from customer's point of view and business point of view..! This will make me think which market i will want to target in the future!
Cheap fashion store I went in had their garments were hung without any plan (no Visual merchandising plan) and was not ironed. The signs of '$10' were printed off their home printer without proper signage or laminated.

Pros for customers :
-Fast faced fashion
-Cheap, affordable
-Less pressure by sales assistant
Cons for Customer's point of view:
-No greetings by sales assistant (personal contact with the customer)
-Crowded
-look messy
-For a customer's point of view, it's very good for laundry~! (don't care much)
-slightly poor quality

Pros for Business point of View:
-Easy to maintain
-Cheaper fixed cost (rent, renovation, electricity, staff wage, etc)
-Fast gain of income

Cons for Business point of View:
-High capital cost
-High cost of establishment
-Heavily rely on trend
-Need big warehouse, deliveries

Then, I was invited to a VIP night to one of the big mid-market fashion brands, 'R**iew' in the westfield. As I stepped in, the shop assistant greeted me with big smile and offered me a glass of champagne and chocolate. The lighting were emphasizing the garments that were hung on the rack. Their visual merchandising were organized and lead me towards inside the store which was very inviting but expensive!

Pros for Customer point of view:
-Good quality (Which will last me long time)
-Inviting (also paying for the service you get personally)
-Delicate detailing
-Delicate and good fabrics

Cons for Customer point of View:
-Expensive
-Heavy pressure from the sales assistant
-Due to delicate details and fabrics, washing instructions were more complicated (usually dry clean)

Pros for Business point of View
-Gain regular customers (offer loyalty programs)
-Regular reputation for the company
-Stable marketing
Cons for Business point of View
-Expensive Fixed cost
-Expensive high maintenance
-Cost for staff training
-Higher stress for quality and designs
There is no good or bad for going cheaper garments or expensive garments. I know I am very business minded although i am a fashion student. I do appreciate fashion and believe it's one of the main industry that leads the economy going. But I believe wearing and purchasing something that makes the wearer happy and feel good is the most important thing and should be the main focus for the fashion designer(for me...) Therefore, if i get a chance to have my own brand, own business, I'll definitely target somewhere between mid to low.. which is affordable, fashionable and good quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment